The YWCA of Japan is hosting a CSW65 parallel event “Young women’s Beijing+25 initiatives: experiences in Japan”, where young women share their experiences and views through their work in Japan for gender equality. Please join us online!
In working toward the Generation Equality forums in Mexico and Paris and beyond, the roles of young people in accelerating the commitments of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action have been increasingly recognized on the global platform. One of such is the creation of Generation Equality Youth Task Force by UN Women, which aims at bringing diverse young people’s voices to the different aspects of Beijing+25 and Generation Equality processes. Yet, in Japan, young women and girls are still left behind in many ways. Despite their struggle to survive every day, they are not adequately recognized and their commitments are not equally valued; the prevailing intersectional discrimination based on gender and age means they are too often socially seen as less experienced and having less capacity. The systematic barriers which restrict young women and girls from meaningfully engaging in feminist movements to policy-making spaces is one of the most forgotten challenges remained since 1995.
In this parallel event, young women leaders from Japan will share their struggles and initiatives including advocacy against GBV and women’s human rights trainings to empower adolescent girls. We will also have two breakout sessions which will discussing four specific concerns and actions out of 12 critical areas of the Beijing Platform for Actions in the context of Japan from the viewpoint of young women. These four critical areas of concerns are;
• Violence against women
• Women and armed conflict
• Women and the economy
• Women and the media
We also plan for a discussion with participants, regarding possible suggestions to the Action Coalitions for future global initiatives for gender equality.
• Date: 6:00-8:00am EST 26 March, 2021
• Where: Zoom
*Only available to access to those who sign-up through NGO CSW virtual platform
• Capacity: 100 persons
• Fee: Free of charge
• Language: English (Interpretation to Japanese only is available at the main session. Please note that there is no language support during the breakout sessions. If you need any help, you can send a private message to the host and we will do our best to respond.)
How to register:
1. In order to register yourself to the event, you first have to sign-up for the NGO CSW65 Forum Advocate from here for free (This is because it’s a NGO parallel event taking place during the 65th Commission on the Status of Women coordinated by the NGO CSW);
2. Once your registration is done, you’ll receive an email containing login information from NGO CSW, from where you can access the NGO CSW65 virtual Forum and our event page. (Our parallel event page ishere; )
3. As Advocates, you can register for our event simply by clicking the ‘+’ button next to the event on the Agenda. This adds the event to your agenda and registers you for the event.
Contact of the hosting organization:
YWCA of Japan
Tokyo YWCA building Rm302, 1-8-11 Kandasurugadai, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0062 Japan